Previous pageNext page

                 The Ouray Elks BPOE #492 was founded on June 6th, 1899, with thirteen charter members. At the time, meetings were held in “Red Man’s Hall” in the rear of the Wright Opera House on Main Street. Members felt a need to have their own lodge hall and so held a fair in 1902 netting approximately $3,500. A ball was held in the Opera House to raise more money & shares were sold at $25 per share for furnishings to be paid back within 20 years. The Trustees then were searching for land and on July 15th, 1902, purchased from Hubbard Reed, lots 7 & 8 of block 20 for $1500.

             On June 3rd, 1904 the contract was signed for building the lodge to the amount of $18,000. The work started the same day. At 10:30 am a train pulled in from Montrose with 150 visiting Elks to assist in the construction. Between 600-800 people came to the future site of the lodge for the festivities along with both newspapers, (Plaindealer & Herald), and the Ouray Marching Band. At approximately 3:15 pm, Exalted Ruler Mittendorf declared the cornerstone laid.

             Finally on May 9th, 1905, the lodge was open for a grand ball and banquet. Between 600 to 700 people attended. Dancing started at 9 pm and ended around 3:30 am. All in awe of this magnificent building. From Lodge Room to Bar Room to Bowling Alley, all the visitors were captivated with the utter beauty of the building.

             The Trustees of the lodge purchased lots 9 & 10, adjacent to the lodge lots on May 8th, 1911. These lots were vacant after the Delmonico Hotel had burned down 6 years prior. These lots were later named Centennial Park.

             Today, many hard working Elks are trying to restore key areas of the Lodge. The Dining Hall, Kitchen and storage room were all recently done. Next is the Games Room, Parlor and others. If you are a local Elk, please help. If you would like to contribute to the Lodge, please contact us.

 

Ouray Elks Lodge

A Brief History

Officers 2014—2015

Text Box: Exalted Ruler: Phil Martinez, PER (970) 626-4054
Esteemed Leading Knight: John Lorimer (970) 325-7389 jlorimer@lornet.co
Esteemed Loyal Knight: Kathy Pettengill, PER (970) 626-4239
Esteemed Lecturing Knight: Bette Maurer (970) 596-3056 bettemaurer@yahoo.com
Esquire: Jim Pettengill, PER (970) 626-4239
Inner Guard: Tom Tyler, PER (970) 325-4605
Secretary: Koree Schmidt koreeschmidt@gmail.com
Treasurer: Susan Leverenz (970) 318-6677 susanleverenz@alpinebank.com
Tiler: Louis Karmes (970) 596-6435
Chaplain: Frank Leonardi (970) 596-4631 fll81427@wildblue.net
Head Trustee: Danny Wesseling (970) 729-1174
Trustee: Stuart Middleton-White (970) 316-1269
Trustee: E Lynn Olin (970) 729-1823
Trustee: Carl Logan Brown portlandacres@gmail.com
Trustee: Vacant
1910 GatheringElks on StepsElks Embelm

Thanks to Ouray Net for their hosting service!

Email us at: ourayelks492@gmail.com